GRATITUDE / 'gratitjuid / (noun)
The quality of being thankful, readiness to show appreciation for & to return kindness.
WHAT IS GRATITUDE?
Gratitude is strongly & consistently associated with greater happiness. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve health, deal with adversity & build strong relationships.
gratitude causes synchronised activation in multiple brain regions & lights up parts of the brain's reward pathways & the hypothalamus i.e. gratitude can boost neurotransmitter serotonin & activate the brain stem to produce dopamine (the brain's pleasure chemical).
3 KEYS TO PRACTICING GRATITUDE
1) EMOTE: FEEL THE EMOTIONS
2) EXTEND: GIVE GRATITUDE TO INCLUDE OTHERS/PAY IT FORWARD
3) EXPERIENCE: SPEND TIME DAILY PRACTICING GRATITUDE
But, you're possibly thinking what are some ways that you can practice gratitude? Well here's 3 ideas that are also fairly inexpensive. 1) Each day find 3 things you're thankful for, 2) Start a gratitude journal: an excellent self-therapy tool that a lot of therapists recommend & 3) Give meditation a try. I've included a basic & free download to help you start practicing.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PRACTICING GRATITUDE?
How does 10 benefits sound for starters...
1) Improves self-esteem
2) Improves energy & health
3) Makes us happier & more optimistic
4) More resilient & deal better with adversity
5) More generous & forgiving
6) Keeps us in the present moment
7) Be happier & notice the present moment more
8) Lowers stress, anxiety & thoughts
9) Be generous & kind to others ~ improves relationships
10) Provides perspective & helps you look for the good in your life
HOW ABOUT SOME MANTRAS TO GET STARTED...
I am so happy and grateful for the life I have
I am beyond blessed that I woke up today healthy and strong
I am grateful I know my self-worth and continue to give myself love and attention every day
I am so grateful that the universe is working for my greater good
I am grateful for this beautiful day
Today I will embody an attitude of gratitude
I am grateful for who I am
I am overflowing with happiness, joy and gratitude
So, tell us in the comments, are you going to try any of this way of thinking, or are you already a follower?